Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Power of Prayer

While yesterday began well, the afternoon and night after about 3 PM went downhill quickly.  My girlfriend, whom I love dearly, was very upset, and the majority of that (if not all of it) was my fault.  My grandfather probably suffered another mini-stroke, his 6th since last June.  I found out that a leader of my Boy Scout troop for 50 years was rushed to the hospital.  And, on top of it all, I had to do some school work which is due on Monday.  All in all, when I staggered into my room at 10:00, after a trying 14 hours, I was exhausted and was in no mood to pray.  However, I decided to pray the Small Compline, which I had prayed with my friends the night before, along with portions of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos.  Though for the first few minutes, I was still exhausted and wanted to cut the prayers short.  But as I continued to pray, I no longer felt tired or anxious, but only repentence and joy.  Through prayer, sincere prayer of the heart, we open ourselves to the Holy Spirit, the παράκλητος, the Comforter, and allow Him to come into our lives, guide our steps and ultimately, to save our souls.

"O Heavenly King, the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present and fillest all things, Treasury of blessing and Giver of life: Come and abide in us, cleanse us from every stain, and save our souls, O Good One." (Prayer to the Holy Spirit)

No comments:

Post a Comment